Our self-perception – how we see ourselves- and how we want to assert that perception can differ sharply in the eyes of others. Sometimes we are not entirely cognisant of how others see us. In leadership, this is often evident. Leaders see themselves as one thing, the followers see the leader as another. Because of this ‘unalignment’, the relationship between followers and leaders is one of cross purposes. As the alignment decreases, it becomes even more important for the leader to clarify the most important aspects of their work.
There are eight universal competencies to leadership. Frequently, the ‘unalignment’ is here. Realignment can be achieved if decisive action is taken. Let’s have a look at the eight competencies and how to path correct with best practise.
- Communication: Listens To Others, Processes Information, Communicates Effectively.
- Leadership: Instils Trust, Provides Direction, Delegates Responsibility.
- Adaptability: Adjusts to Circumstances, Thinks Creatively.
- Relationships: Builds Personal Relationships, Facilitates Team Success.
- Task Management: Works Efficiently, Works Competently.
- Production: Takes Action, Achieves Results.
- Development Of Others: Cultivates Individual Talents, Motivates Successfully.
- Personal Development: Displays Commitment, Seeks Improvement.
The great way to correct this is with The Leadership Checkpoint 360° feedback system, from Power Assessments International. The purpose of the CheckPoint 360° System is to identify leadership as viewed by certain groups of individuals who know and have had the opportunity to observe the manager in the work setting and to evaluate the skills and effectiveness of your senior staff and leaders. This survey compiles a feedback system from direct reports, peers, and supervisors, and then creates a personalised program for effective leadership development based on that feedback. The reports show you how to improve training, management techniques, and communication for greater success.
This tool is used to help your organization improve performance and build bench strength by helping managers identify and prioritise their development opportunities and leadership skills. It can also help leaders discover management issues that could lead to low employee productivity, morale, satisfaction, and turnover.
The assessment is done online and can be anonymous for up to 30 direct reports, peers and supervisors. The leader rate themselves as well. The reports are generated immediately with a personalised plan for the leader.
Give Marcus a call to discuss this most phenomenal tool.